Leaflet will become even better if you add …

Continuous/Fluid Zoom

It would be nice if the zoom was (optionally) continuous/fluid and did not have to "snap" to each zoom level.

Examples:

1) http://polymaps.org/ex/pale-dawn.html#12.00/37.7649/-122.4195
2) https://github.com/stamen/modestmaps-js/blob/master/examples/anyscale/index.html

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kevin JurkowskiKevin Jurkowski shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Vladimir AgafonkinAdminVladimir Agafonkin (maintainer, Leaflet) responded  · 

No plans to do this at the moment. Too much work to do for not much benefit (usually it’s easier for users to use discrete zoom maps, it feels more natural and responsive for some reason).

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • danedane commented  · 

Yes, please!

• Vince FilbyVince Filby commented  · 

I disagree with your assessment as well, zooming to a desired level and then having the map snap to some other zoom level is disorienting.

• Sebstian Sebstian commented  · 

Please add this feature. I feels more natural on mobile devices and tablets. Nowadays, getting more and more important!

• Dan DombrowskiDan Dombrowski commented  · 

It's definitely a subtle feature, but once I noticed it was snapping to the set zoom levels I couldn't stop noticing it. Although this is really only an issue on touch devices, the number of touch/mobile users is growing exponentially. In the tech scene the subtle, thoughtful features of a product really do influence it's success. Please reconsider!

• Adam DragoAdam Drago commented  · 

When using leaflet on mobile devices it feels very unnatural to zoom, then have the map adjust to a different zoom level than you zoomed to. It just doesn't feel right. Like others have said, I appreciate that this would be considerable work, but I think the benefit would be a very much improved user experience.

• Moritz StefanerMoritz Stefaner commented  · 

"it feels more natural and responsive for some reason"
        I don't think this is true at all, especially since the advent of touch devices, and would strongly suggest to include that feature.

• Michael HigginsMichael Higgins commented  · 

I appreciate that it is considerable extra work to do this, but there are important use-cases. If you are using complex overlays for analytical purposes and you need to fit the overlay into a window of a given size, fixed increment zoom levels are often inadequate.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I second this! Please add this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base